Moving with pets is a sensitive issue to address when relocating. Since moving can cause unneeded stress on your pets, it’s important to try and reduce these stress levels as much as possible. You also want to maintain your animals’ health and happiness when moving pets. With a few suggestions, moving with pets can be a positive experience for you and them.
There are a few things to accomplish before you begin moving with pets. Their health should be checked and certain precautions should be taken. By following Allied’s guidelines for moving with pets, your pets can enjoy and safe and healthy move. Here are some things you can do to ease the stress of moving the family pets to your new home:
Pet Moving Tips: Auto Travel
- Before leaving, schedule a veterinary examination to check your pet’s health, obtain copies of vaccination records and a health certificate (if required), update identification tags and discuss a tranquilizer or precautionary measures for the trip.
- If traveling to your new home by car, make sure to get your pet comfortable to auto travel by taking it on short trips around the neighborhood
- Don’t feed your pet for seven hours prior to your trip, pack a container of fresh, cool water, and stop frequently for walks
- If stopping at a hotel overnight, make sure the hotel allows pets
- Never leave your pet in the car alone
- Birds and small pets such as hamsters can travel in their cages if the cage can be placed in a stable, well ventilated area free of drafts (covering the cage while the car is moving often calms an animal)
Pet Moving Tips: Air Travel
If moving with pets by air, contact the airline well in advance to check regulations and services:
- Consider direct flights to minimize the amount of time your pet will be confined Select a portable air-transport kennel that’s large enough for your pet to stand and move around a bit
- Let your pet get accustomed to the kennel well in advance of the trip
- Don’t forget to mark the kennel with “Live Animal,” your pet’s name, your new address and phone number and any special handling instructions
- After boarding your plane, ask the flight attendant to confirm your pet has been loaded on the plane
- Moving with pets does not have to be a stressful experience. With the pet moving tips from Allied, you and your pet can enjoy a positive relocation experience, stress-free. The safety and health of your pet is most important during relocation. So, be sure that when moving with pets, these two aspects come first and foremost.
Pet Move Resources
The following links are not endorsed by or affiliated with Allied The Careful Movers™️.
The Independent Pet and Animal Transportation Assoc. Intl., Inc.
Pet Hotel and Travel